Losing or misplacing crucial documents could be a cause of trouble, and losing the Permanent Account Number (PAN) card is no exception. The PAN card plays a pivotal role in financial transactions and tax-related matters. However, if you ever find yourself without your PAN card due to loss, damage or theft, there’s no need to panic.
The Income Tax Department has streamlined the process for obtaining a duplicate PAN card. You can apply for a duplicate PAN, both online and offline, by following a few simple steps.
Securing a Duplicate PAN Card Online
1. Visit the official TIN-NSDL Website.
2. Select the Application Type: Begin by choosing the application type as “Changes or correction in existing PAN data/ Reprint of PAN card (No changes in existing PAN data).” Select this option if your PAN card has been lost, stolen, or damaged.
3. Enter the required information on the given form.
4. Generate Token Number: After submitting your information, a token number will be generated and sent to your registered email address. Keep this token number for future reference.
5. Fill in the necessary personal details and select the mode of submission for your PAN application.
Choose right option for submitting duplicate PAN application
You will get three options to submit your application for a duplicate PAN:
1. Forward application documents physically: Print the acknowledgment form, attach required documents, and send them via registered post to the PAN services unit of NSDL.
2. Submit digitally through e-KYC & e-sign (Paperless): Use Aadhaar for this option and authenticate your details with an OTP. Digital signature (DSC) will be required for e-signing the form.
3. Submit scanned images through e-sign: Aadhaar is mandatory, and you will need to upload scanned images of your photograph, signature, and other documents.
Choose Card Type
Select whether you want a physical PAN card or an e-PAN card. Provide a valid email address if you opt for an e-PAN card.
Submit documents and make payment
After choosing the mode of submitting the application, furnish all the information under the “Contact and other details” and “document details” sections.
After this, you will be directed to the payment page. Once the payment is completed, an acknowledgment will be generated.
How to check application status
You can check the status of your duplicate PAN card using the 15-digit acknowledgment number.
The duplicate PAN card will be dispatched within 2 weeks after the department receives your application.
Applying for a Duplicate PAN Card Offline
Download the Form: Download and print the “Request for new PAN card or/and changes or Correction in PAN Data” form.
Complete the Form: Use BLOCK letters and black ink to fill out the application. Mention your 10-digit PAN for reference.
Attach Photographs: If you are an individual applicant, attach two passport-size photographs and cross-sign them carefully. Ensure your face is not covered while signing.
Provide Necessary Documents: Fill in all the required details in the form and sign the relevant boxes. Attach proof of identity, proof of address, and proof of PAN.
Send to NSDL Facilitation Centre: Send your application along with payment to the nearest NSDL facilitation centre. After receiving the payment, the centre will generate a printed acknowledgment form with a 15-digit number.
Similar to the online process, the duplicate PAN card will be dispatched within 2 weeks after the department receives your application.